Sunday, April 26, 2009

Mammograms save lives


I am one of the millions of women who have survived breast cancer - the leading cause of cancer death among women ages 35 to 50. Tomorrow I will go in for my twice-annual mammogram and pray that I am still cancer free.

Today I am sending a reminder to all of the women out there who need to schedule their mammograms. Taking care of yourself to live a long and healthy life is truly one of the greatest gifts you can give to your family and friends.

My cancer was only detected through a mammogram. I had no other symptoms. That mammogram led to a mastectomy which ultimately, I believe, saved my life.

So today's message is please schedule your mammograms. Someone who loves you will be glad that you did!

Breast Cancer Statistics
  • 1 out of every 8 American women will develop breast cancer at some point in her life
  • Breast cancer is the leading cause of cancer death among women ages 35 to 50
  • 250,000 US women living with the disease are under the age of 40
  • 8 out of 9 women who are diagnosed with breast cancer have no family history of the disease
  • 70% of women who develop breast cancer have no identifiable risk factors

1 comment:

Laurel McConnell said...

Thank you for sharing your personal story, and congratulations on the awesome outcome! We hope to see you at Get Hitched, Give Hope this October!!

ShareThis