Monday, January 26, 2009

Six-word memoirs. Addictive love and reading.

"Six-Word Memoirs on Love & Heartbreak"
by writers Famous & Obscure
Edited by Smith Magazine


I
f you haven't yet found this book, I suggest you drop everything and order it immediately. Along with their first creation "Not quite what I was planning", the folks at Smith Magazine have got us hooked on this amazingly inspiring book of short stories. Six word stories.

What they have shown is that an entire life can be summed up in six words! As an example, the editors cite Ernest Hemingway's famous quote that says so much: "For Sale: baby shoes, never worn."

This book conjured up so many ideas for us and how asking friends and loved ones to write their six-word essays could be a fantastic idea for events, ice breakers, memory albums, invitation quotes, blog 'tag' games, etc. So watch out! We may tag you for your best six-word memoir...


We agree with their thoughts on enjoying this treasure: "Under the covers with your sweetheart, over cocktails with friends, or alone with a tube of cookie dough, you'll find real energy on every page." You can even post your own memoirs here.

Here are some of our favorites from the book:

"Seven days turned into forty-six years." - Harriette Spanabel

"He wrote songs for me. Sigh." - Pamela Des Barres

"Soulmate found in grade nine gym." - Amy Leask

"We belly laugh every single day." - Michelle Ottey

"Where he is, I am home." - Julia Evans

"He always stirs my chocolate milk." - Sarah Thornburg

"He sees the me that I don't."
- Mary Catherine Hamelin

and my personal favorite:

" Beloved's face. Like staring at God." - Susan Dickman

No comments:

ShareThis