Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Thanks anyway, United Airlines. I'd rather walk.

I don't normally blog about any type of negativity or complaint, but I just couldn't let this story go. As a frequent traveler, I found this story to be a very sad statement about the folks at United Airlines. So much for their 'fly the friendly skies' song and dance. With the price of airfare going up, the perks and service of flying going down, and the fact that they seem to forget that the passengers (even the "idiots" in coach) pay the salaries of the folks that "serve" us the Diet Cokes on board, this is enough to make me opt for a rental car.

Customer Service. They've taken it to a new low. Fortunately, I'll be able to avoid the name calling by the crew as I'm canceling any future travel with United.

United crew - it's time to serve drinks to the idiots in coach

There is not much I like about United Airlines, but their Channel 9 in-flight audio is one perk you won't find on any other carrier. Channel 9 is the audio channel that lets you listen in on the cockpit communications with Air Traffic Control. I've always found it a great way to pass the time, and get a better idea what is going on when the plane is delayed.

A reader on The Consumerist apparently shares my love for Channel 9, but got a rude awakening when he noticed that the Channel 9 audio was relaying the flight attendant phone communications instead of the cockpit.

Unfortunately for the cabin crew, the things they were exchanging over the phone were really not intended for the passengers, especially when one of them told a colleague that they'd soon "start on drinks for the idiots in coach".

Ouch.

I've always known coach class passengers were sometimes referred to as "roach class", or "self loading freight", but to actually refer to your paying customers as "idiots" seems rather harsh.

One of the passengers who heard the remarks let a crew member know they were able to hear what they were saying, at which point they stopped using the phones. Of course, no apology was issued, nor did anyone at United Airlines respond to the story.

(Via: The Consumerist)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow. Thanks for posting this. I'll remember it every time I go to purchase a flight. I have quite the feeling this will be the determining factor when narrowing my choices.

Anonymous said...

I hear ya! any domestic flight is a 'cheap' experience now...long wait at the airport and thirsty and hungry, and boring ($5 for a headset?) flight.

ShareThis